I always have this idea in my head that blush is the one category of makeup I don’t have a lot of, but yeah…no. I guess I spent 2016 making up for that imagined deficit in my collection, because mentally sifting through all my blushes to write this list made me realize how many I actually own. They absolutely dominate this post, unsurprisingly eclipsing my contours/bronzers (the true deficits in my stash) and holding their own in numbers against my highlighters. Who would have thought?
1. Kevyn Aucoin The Contour Book Vol 2: I don’t contour a lot, but when I do this is almost always the first thing I reach for. The cream and powder formulas of both contours and highlighters are excellent, easy to use and blend seamlessly into skin very little effort.
2. NARS Bronzing Powder in Laguna: I struggle with bronzers because they all look very orange on me, but Laguna actually has neutral/yellow undertones which make it perfect for my skin. I have the mini version, but will definitely buy the full size when I run out.
3. Tarte Amazonian Clay Blush in Exposed: This is my foolproof daily blush, aka the perfect nude that works with literally any and all makeup looks you could think to pair it with. Cool or warm, bold or natural, this is the one blush that compliments EVERYTHING.
4. Hourglass Ambient Lighting Blush in Mood Exposure: I use this whenever I want a blush that’s neutral but also makes my skin look radiant and healthy. The half-illuminating-powder-half-blush-pigment ratio means it’s hard to overdo, and easy to blend out.
5. Cle de Peau Beauté Powder Blush Duo in #105: From the silky formula to the light rose scent, everything about this beautifully-formulated blush is a luxurious experience. I love the sun-kissed warmth of this particular colour duo.
6. Burberry Fresh Glow Highlighting Pen: Hands down the best highlighter for precise application. It’s the perfect size to illuminate smaller areas of your face like your cupid’s bow, inner eye corners, etc without going overboard.
7. MAC Extra Dimension Skinfinish in Soft Frost: Aside from just being pretty, this expertly treads the line between unusual and wearable. To all the companies that released completely bizarre “highlighters” in 2016: this is how it’s done. Well played, MAC.
8. Make Up For Ever Pro Light Fusion in #01: As far as highlighters go, this one is perfection. It’s pigmented enough for oomph yet blendable enough to be subtly illuminating with a light hand. And this colour in particular is universally flattering without being boring.
9. Becca Shimmering Skin Perfecter Pressed in Moonstone: No matter how many highlighters I buy, I keep coming back to this beauty. This is the goldilocks of pale golds – neither too frosty nor too yellow, it’s just right.
10. Cover FX Custom Enhancer Drops in Moonlight: It’s hard not to be impressed by how pigmented these highlighter drops are. Mix a tiny bit into moisturizer, primer or foundation for an all-over glow, or selectively chrome parts of your face by using it straight from the bottle.
This post contains affiliate links.