2016 was a tricky year for “beauty accounting”. Because we were constantly traveling, I had very little access to my full stash and had to make do with a very pared-down travel kit. Since I didn’t really have time to properly play with ALL the new lovelies that showed up in my stash this year, I’ve decided to make this list less about new discoveries and more about the things I realised I just can’t live without.
So without further ado I present to you…my 2016 base MVPs! (You can click on the photos to shop the post)
1. Primer: I use Biore UV Perfect Face Sunscreen on a daily basis. Not only does it protect against sun damage, but its oil-controlling properties are perfect for my combo skin. I’m still on the hunt for the perfect eye primer.
2A. Foundation: Make Up For Ever’s Ultra HD Liquid Foundation has always been my favourite, but this year it was the Ultra HD Stick Foundation version came along with me on every trip I took. It has the same awesome coverage and natural finish, except in an even more convenient, on-the-go solid form.
2B. Foundation: Tied for this category is my NARS Tinted Moisturiser, which I use daily when I’m in LA. I’ve actually been using it in combination with my stick foundation, slathering the former all over and layering the latter over areas that need more coverage.
3. Concealer: I’m on to my third consecutive tube of Cle de Peau Beaute Concealer this year, which I think says quite enough about how in love I am with it!
4. Setting Powder: I bought my first jar of Innisfree No-Sebum Powder on a whim in Korea and it was the best discovery ever. It’s not only a phenomenal blotting powder that cuts oil like nothing else, but it’s seriously multifunctional – it doubles as dry shampoo in a pinch and just last week I used this to pull up an oil stain on a light leather bag. And did I mention it’s cheap?
5. Finishing Powder: I know this is really a full-face palette rather than just a finishing powder, but Hourglass’ Ambient Lighting Edit in Surreal Light is such a good value in terms of variety that I’d sooner recommend this than an individual powder compact. For what it’s worth, I adore using my Ambient Lighting Powders to do a finishing buff which blends my blush/bronzer/contour/highlight seamlessly into my base.
These are products I love, but for portability/seasonal reasons can’t use all year round (though I wish I could).
6. SUQQU Extra Rich Cream Foundation: Thank you SUQQU for understanding that just because I have oily skin doesn’t mean I want to be 100% matte all the time. This oil-controlling foundation with a dewy finish is a dream come true.
7. Rouge Bunny Rouge Skin Soul Drops Foundation Essence: I love mixing this with either sunscreen, moisturiser or primer on days when I’m being lazy about base but need decent coverage. I’m on to my second bottle, because my mother loves this too and stole my first one.
8. Burberry Fresh Glow Luminous Fluid Base: This really needs to be renamed “Fake Healthy Skin in a Bottle” because that’s exactly what it is. It’s such a god-send on days on days my skin looks dull!
I hope you enjoyed this post, and that it answers any questions you may have had about my base routine. I plan on doing a few more of these round-ups within the next couple of weeks to cover cheeks, eyes and lips, so stay tuned for those and feel free to suggest other “best-of” categories that you’d like to see and I’ll try to work them in. Skincare? Brows? Hair?
If you’re interested in the Rouge Bunny Rouge Skin Soul Drops (or any other of their beautiful offerings) feel free to use my Friends & Family code RBR-EMILYLOKE20 for a 20% discount. FYI, I don’t make any commission or benefit in any way whatsoever from you using my code, I’m just sharing it so you can save some money on your order!
This post contains affiliate links.