Beauty DIY

a custom smokey eyeshadow palette

July 22, 2015

After the success of depotting my Urban Decay Naked 1 palette, I naturally started looking around for other packaging I could shrink down. The first thing that came to mind was actually another Urban Decay palette – Smoked. Not to be confused with their new Smokey palette, these shadows were housed inside a case with a fiddly zipper enclosure, which made accessing them kind of annoying…especially when I was in a rush!

Processed with VSCOcam with s2 preset

Aside from Smoked, I also chose to re-home my Urban Decay 500 point perk from Sephora and some Make Up Store eyeshadows to round out the colour selection in this new palette. That’s the carnage on the left, and my sleek new case on the right:


What a difference, huh?

I put a lot of thought into how I’d like the colours to be arranged in their new home, and eventually decided on a down-the-middle split. I stuck the neutral tones on the left and the more dramatic jewel tones on the right with the two middle squares acting as a divider that would work for both groupings. Of course I’ll mostly be mixing and matching across the whole palette, but I find it’s always good to have complimentary tones together for days you don’t have time to think.


I made the palette very similar to the last one, with plastic sleeves and ribbon pulls. This time however, instead of glueing the pans directly to the plastic I used sheets of sticker-backed magnets. Since the pans are removable, I labelled the back of each pan with its colour name.


All in all, I’m super happy with these custom palettes! I love how much space I’m saving, and that I’m able to group similar colours together for no-brainer colour matching. I also feel I’ll get better use out of a lot of these colours, now that they’re easily accessible.

I can’t wait to do a full look with this. Stay tuned!


    Leave a Reply